Thursday, January 31, 2008

Second Open Letter - September 12, 2006

[This is our second "open letter," sent 3 weeks after surgery.]

September 12, 2006

Dear Beloved Community - I have healing news. I am doing well. Well is what I'm doing, and well is how I'm doing it.

In this second open letter, I'll tell you more about this amazing journey that I'm on. It is filled with spiritual breakthroughs and insights and I have deep gratitude for the gifts I'm receiving on this journey.

I also have this sense that what I'm experiencing is about much more than just me, that my journey is metaphorical for our collective journey and how we all are being called to take renewed responsibility for healing - at individual, societal, and planetary levels. So, with great humility and gratitude, I invite you to share in the learning that flows from this experience. And I also know, in concrete, practical ways, that when any one of us heals, it contributes to the healing of all.

First, and absolutely primary, deep gratitude, far beyond the ability of words to express, for all of your prayers and caring. We are truly overwhelmed by the love and beauty that are showering down on us from every quarter. There simply are no words, but there is deep, deep feeling, connection.

Second, a medical dimension update. On 8/22 I had surgery to remove the brain tumor. It's truly remarkable how easy this has been. 2-1/2 days in the hospital. Magical technology. Legions of angels. Speedy recovery, almost a non-event - one friend referred to it pretty accurately as "outpatient brain surgery" - except for the contributions and expertise of so many. The whole surgery/hospital experience has deepened my appreciation for what we can create together, once we have an aligning purpose. (And I'm seeing so many ways we are increasingly and collectively pursuing such an aligning purpose of Peace on Earth. This is a very good time to be here.)

I still have healing work to do. I have a 7 week course of radiation and chemo therapy. I know this will go remarkably easily and smoothly, just as the surgery has. And we know the contribution that all of the prayer/caring support has made, so we invite you to keep sending them our way. And, in your prayers, please add "for all beings," so we can all optimize the benefit.

Third, a spiritual dimension update. This is the best. A major event in my "spiritual biography" occurred about 30 years ago when I attended my first workshop with Joseph Campbell. He opened my eyes in a wonderful way and I experienced a big "path realignment." What he had to say made so much sense. I've often referred to that day as an "intellectual religious experience." In the hospital, it all came together for me in a much deeper, experiential way. I deeply experienced the reality or our oneness, that our sense of separation from each other and "source" is indeed an illusion (albeit a compelling one). I have now experienced in a new, deeper way the "peace that surpasses understanding."

Perhaps the biggest gift, among many, is that I am now absolutely clear about what is my work to do here. Over the past several years, I have been tentative, juggling several major projects, giving none of them the attention they deserve or require. Now I know. Now I am clear. Now I am focused. (More on this story in a future note.)

Here's how you can continue to help. In my first note, I included the following paragraph. It came to us mostly intuitively. It now feels absolutely solid and right, so I'm copying it verbatim: Please pray for me, for us - in any way that your "still, small voice" guides you. And, we have some specific prayer suggestions too. Our primary prayer is that we stay out of fear. If you can help us, both by praying that we are able to stay out of fear, and also staying out of fear yourself, this will be tremendous support. If a fearful thought arises, just acknowledge it, thank it, and affirm, "There is only love here. There is only healing here."

We are loving hearing from everyone, and are also just not able to respond individually to every e-mail and card. So please, if I don't respond individually, don't interpret it in any way other than that there's just a lot going on. Your caring is very meaningful to me.

In deep gratitude for connection and healing, for all beings,
Rich and Ruth Ann

No comments: