Wednesday, January 30, 2008

First Open Letter - August 13, 2006

[This is our first "open letter" to friends and community telling them of my recently diagnosed brain tumor.]

August 13, 2006

To our Beloved Community,

I have news. I'm waking up. As is often the case, waking up comes in response to a "wake up call." My wake up call is that the doctors told me last Wednesday that I have a brain tumor. The medical side of this learning opportunity is moving quickly. I meet with the neurosurgeon tomorrow and will probably have surgery this week or next. I am grateful for the amazing sophistication of our medical expertise, and have complete confidence in our doctors' miraculous abilities.

And yet, the medical dimension of this story is but one, small part. What I'm most interested in is the spiritual dimension, and our collective opportunities in my individual story.

Ruth Ann and I have been, and continue to be, on a bit of an emotional roller coaster, yet with a definite trending toward peace and gratitude. We know that this is "for us," even if that's not how it might appear. The "real" of this situation is that there is only love here, only healing here.

Here's how you can help. Please pray for me, for us - in any way that your "still, small voice" guides you. And, we have some specific prayer suggestions too. Our primary prayer is that we stay out of fear. If you can help us, both by praying that we are able to stay out of fear, and also staying out of fear yourself, this will be tremendous support. If a fearful thought arises, just acknowledge it, thank it, and affirm, "There is only love here. There is only healing here."

And we invite you to join us in a visualization. We are visualizing the tumor as a wispy cloud, just a temporary, insubstantial appearance, becoming ever less substantial as it evaporates into clear blue air. We gratefully acknowledge receiving the message and the opportunity for awakening. We tell it sincerely, "You've done an excellent job of getting our attention. Thank you. You've completed your task well and are not needed anymore. You may return to the light."

We invite you to do this with as much joy as possible and to participate with us in feelings of lightness and release. To honor me in this process, I would ask that you reflect back to me and each other the hope and optimism which are an essential part who I am.

See this healing process as a blessing in your own lives and bring into this circle of healing all those who are in need of healing and for the benefit of all beings. When any of us heals, we all heal.

Prayer:
Centered in the healing, loving heart of the Living Christ, we are grateful for lessons of love and healing. We lovingly release any appearance of disease as we joyously welcome wholeness, comfort, and ease. As we join together in this healing circle, we clearly and steadfastly hold sacred space for the benefit of all beings and for peace and healing in our own lives. Thank you, God! And so it is!

Namaste,
Rich & Ruth Ann

No comments: