Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Letter to my surgeon - August 15, 2006

[This is the letter I handed to my surgeon at our first meeting. He willingly acceded to our request, and put the MRI films back into the envelope.]

August 15, 2006

Dear Beloved Doctors,

I'd like to give you some context that will help in working with me, with us.

First, I honor your commitment to life, and the dedication of your life to helping and healing. I have great gratitude for and confidence in your expertise and experience, and the amazing capabilities of modern science and medicine. I am at ease being in your care.

And yet the medical dimension is just one part of this story. While entrusting the medical dimension to you, I'm stepping up to take full responsibility for the psychological/spiritual part of this story. I am looking forward to doing all that I can to support the medical treatment.

And, in listening to my intuition, here are some ways you can support me in doing my part.

My wife and I are not in denial about the seriousness of my situation. Dr. Justin Osborn, my primary care physician, has thoroughly informed us of the condition and possible outcomes. I know it is your job to keep me informed of the serious nature of this condition, however, it is important to me right now to remain as hopeful as possible so that I may experience as much peace and rest as possible.

A consequence of this thinking is that I'm not very interested in dwelling on, or even hearing much about worst case scenarios or slim probabilities. I certainly want to be informed thoroughly in matters where decisions are required, but in matters where the one path is very clear, where deliberation won’t really change anything, I'd prefer keeping my negative or fearful involvement minimized. I trust your agency in such situations. I know that focusing on the positive (while not being in denial) is a powerful healing force. My goal is to live as fully as I can.

I have deep gratitude for your involvement in my story. However it plays out, may we be all be healed and learn by the experience.

Namaste,
Rich & Ruth Ann

No comments: