Sunday, December 13, 2009

Beginning of a New Era, and a Message From Ted Kennedy

This blog post should have been posted at the end of August ('09), but I've been too busy with good things. It marks the end of an era for me, and the beginning of a new one.

I'm feeling very healthy (and very grateful to be here!), and have recently returned to my work as an organizational transformation consultant. I am one of ten consultants selected for a pilot project for the Association of Unity Churches International. Our first gathering was a 5-day training at Unity Village in Missouri held Aug. 24-28.

The weekend immediately preceding the training was the third anniversary of my surgery, August 22, and I was doing a lot of reflecting about this journey. The first insight came when I realized that I no longer want to commemorate the date of my surgery, but rather the morning after when I had the powerful blessing of my Oneness experience (detailed below in my Jan. 31 '08 post). So, from now on, I celebrate the anniversary on Aug. 23, which was Sunday, the day before the training.

Although excited about getting back to work, I was having some doubts about whether I was ready for this significant project. On Monday morning when I met the other nine consultants, all extremely accomplished, my anxiety increased. At the end of the first day, I was having serious doubts and began to consider whether I should pull out. I prayed and meditated, which led to a commitment to myself that I would give my best, and not make any decision until the training was completed.

It was Wednesday at lunchtime when I heard that Ted Kennedy had left us the night before. Because he and I had been given the same diagnosis (Stage IV GBM in the left parietal lobe), the news hit me especially hard. Now, as I was deliberating about my possible role in this project I was also thinking about Ted and his life. A new thought emerged and joined the others, "I wonder what Ted might say to me, if he were here."

Thursday morning I stopped by the Unity Village bookstore to get coffee before heading to the training room. As I entered the bookstore my attention was attracted to a rotating rack of notecards with different quotations. One in particular pulled me in; it seemed somehow "brighter" or more illumined than the rest. When I was a dozen feet away I could make it out. It said, "Have faith in yourself and in the future." I thought, "This is the perfect message for me to hear right now. This is the re-minder and en-couragement I need. I wonder who said it." I moved to the rack and picked up the card. At the bottom in small letters was the attribution: Ted Kennedy.

From that encounter, I found my courage and faith. I willingly and completely embraced the project. I am now very happily and very effectively working with my assigned church, Unity Church of North Idaho. Together, we are living ever more fully the Unity movement vision: "Centered in God, we co-create a world that works for all."

I feel that I have closed out an era, one marked primarily by my medical adventure, and have begun a new era, one dedicated to joyfully fulfilling my purpose here on Earth.

Love, Blessings, and Blue Skies,
Rich

No comments: